Thursday 17 October 2013

The beginnings of some ironic knickers...


I was instantly charmed by St. Peter’s Basilica after visiting recently; such amazing, luxurious intricacy spread across the huge scale of the Basilica captivated me. The building is truly unforgettable, both its interior and exterior scream power, yet its atmosphere amplifies peace at the same time. I loved the contrast between the exterior and interior of the Basilica; I find the Basilica’s diverse charm so magical. St. Peter’s Square ignites simplistic beauty in the all white marble encasing it, while the interior boasts insane detail and lavishness, depicting aspects the Catholic Church, and worshipping St. Peter’s tomb itself, of course.

I intend to produce a somewhat ironic collection of underwear inspired by St. Peter’s Basilica. Controversy is without a doubt, a trend at the moment, I want to encapsulate controversy quietly, by making beautiful underwear inspired by what is considered ‘the heart of the Catholic Church’. The irony is of course; in the fact I am making something quite ‘risqué’ inspired by religion, which generally suppresses sex and nudity. The term ‘Cultural Appropriation’ epitomizes my intentions by making the garments, simply borrowing an idea, or being inspired by a different culture in a controversial sense. My main produce is going to be a large range of wearable, desirable knickers, including embroidered and printed designs. However, I also want to produce bras and kimono style dressing gowns as part of my collection.








 And I have, of course, developed these ideas into some repeat patterns on Photoshop, and tested a few different colour ways inspired by my initial pictures:





And here's them on some very very basic knicker shapes;






I think the prints work well on knickers and I cant wait to develop some more complex designs! 
Here are some embroidery development photos, including free machining, CAD machining and black latch with elastic thread samples, all of which are white on white, again, to depict the exterior of St. Peter's.







And here is my first attempt at making knickers, not perfect but so far so good!



No comments:

Post a Comment